Does every mom have a constant irrational fear of someone calling CPS on them, or is it just me? Actually, I think CPS is called DFPS now, so I should probably update my fear by using the new name.
Today I was walking in our neighborhood with Daphne in the jog stroller and she decided to sob and scream uncontrollably for about 20 minutes. Of course we were nowhere near our house, so I had to stick it out and listen to her red-faced tortured wailing while I waved to everyone and tried to smile in a way that says, "Hi there, I'm a good mom, I have this under control. There's really no need for you to call DFPS to investigate."
I had the same fear yesterday when I was in the grocery store. Daphne was sitting in the cart and I gave her a graham cracker to entertain herself with. It dissolved into mush and ended up smeared all over her face, neck, hair, and even in her ear. I was thinking the whole time that it will be a miracle if someone doesn't call DFPS and give my license plate number to have them investigate the fact that my child is covered in filth. In order to ease their fears, I actually found myself saying out loud in an overly-concerned, motherly voice, "OH, POOR LITTLE DAPHNE! YOU SMEARED A CRACKER ON YOURSELF. I WILL HAVE TO BATHE YOU IMMEDIATELY."
Those were just the instances in the last 24 hours. I have so many that I could go on all day. I know that I am a good mom, so I wonder where my fear of DPFS comes from. Maybe because when I worked at the capitol people always called crying about how DFPS had taken their kids? One too many Lifetime movies about mothers who were wronged by the evil system? Or maybe all moms have this fear? Hmmmmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I soooo have that fear. Maybe it is my background as a social worker and having to investigate any possible abuse. Who knows?
About a month ago Davis was acting terrible in our backyard and after many warnings and other consequences--that did not work-- I spanked his little bottom pretty good. Believe me--he needed it. However, I looked up and saw my neighbor staring at me and I lived in fear for 2 weeks that CPS would show up at my door.
My theory is the good moms worry about stuff like that b/c that is what good moms do--worry about the ones they love most. The parents who should be worried about CPS are usually clueless.
So all that said--I think it is normal--at least for a crazy mom like me.
Post a Comment